Saturday, January 31, 2009

We Play Hands and Feet

I like to play games with my daughter. We play, "Guess the Mustard, " in which she, using the contents of her diaper, guesses which kind of mustard I am thinking about. Also, "Touch the Weasel." In this game, she tries to lash out and strike the "weasel" played by our xoloitzcuintli, Prince Valentio Ignatius Momerath who is a dog. He frequently sniffs Tallulah to ensure she's still breathing, and, as his whiskers tickle her face, Lu will start in a violent whack towards the offending itch. It's fun.

But my favorite game is "Hands and Feet" where we hold said limbs and repeat "Hands!" or "Feet!" depending on which corresponding body part we hold. I have to interpret her squeals or spit ups as answers, but so far she is one hundred percent correct each and every time we play. I have a genius daughter. Her mother's genes, presumably.

Tallulah smiles alot. The books say not to interpret these facial features personally, but rather as a sign of a bowel movement or random facial ticks. I say "phooey". She smiles at our faces, continually. Not in some random fashion, but at my jokes, or when she poops on my hands. She laughs when regurgitated milk is the predominant pattern on Felicity's blouse. Good sense of humor, our kid.

She has sullen moments, too. But these don't last long. She doesn't cry but for a moment at a time, peppering her wakefulness like little sunspots. The sunlight is all you see. She is not fussy. We are blessed.

She is sleeping in my music studio as I play her music from Deep Friar, one of the best, least known beat masters in all of the world. Deep Friar is a musical polymath, able to make a noise on any instrument known to exist. His website, http://www.myspace.com/deepfriarme is all it will take to convince you of his excellent mastery of the bizarre and poly rhythmic.

I am Deep Friar. Don't tell my daughter. She thinks he's some handsome, young, unapproachable star. She'll find out sooner or later, and I would like to preserve the mystery if for only a few years. Meanwhile, I'll distract her with Hands and Feet.

No comments: